Friday, August 9, 2013

What Kind of a Pastor do You Want?


“It is not desirable that we should leave the world and serve tables.” Act2:6

What kind of pastor do you want? Do you want one skilled in the word and prayer or a jack of all trades? Do you want him to excel at scrubbing toilets and vacuuming or be well prepared to preach? Would you rather have him visit every Sue and Johnny with a hang nail or be ready to win souls on Sunday? The choice is yours. How do you treat your minister?

I have pastored a church from 10 to about 160 over the last 8 years. In pioneer work there are a lot of small jobs that take large amounts of time. I need help to be a more effective preacher. Preaching is why I became a pastor. It is my passion; it is what I am good at. We are so blessed we just got our own building, debt free I might add! Now I am a facilities manager, landscaper and custodian. But I don’t have to be. I have several great members who have stepped up and committed to serving. It is such a relief. There have been times where I tried to clean or fix things by myself and I stop and say; “why am I doing this? I am not good at it. I am frustrated. I was never trained for it. I am blessed enough. I don’t want to steal someone else’s blessings for serving the Lord.” Then I make a call and it gets done by someone else.

Delegating is hard. It is hard to trust that the jobs will get done to my satisfaction. But I remember two things; one I have failed hundreds of times and so it is ok for them to fail too. Two; it gives tremendous ownership to others when they have a job in the church.

Before Stephen did mighty miracles or spoke with such wisdom he first served. Before he moved with great power the disciples made a place for him to serve. There is a place for you. Have you found it? Then get serving the tables.

No comments:

Post a Comment