Sunday, June 23, 2013

Why I speak in Tongues


“And having received the promise of the Father, the Holy Spirit, He has shed forth this which you now see and hear.” Act 2:33

                Speaking in tongues is both Biblical and defendable. From the day they received the gift there were haters and doubters. Peter had to explain where this out pouring came from and why it was important. Sadly today is no different. As a Pentecostal, I constantly have to explain why I speak in tongues and that it is not nonsense.

                Why don’t people want what God has given? Why take time to explain why miracles don’t happen or worse why they won’t happen? Dispensationalist theology (where most get their 7 year pre-tribulation eschatology from) was founded to explain away the supernatural workings in the church. Why?

                It is God’s gift. He has explained it. If someone is curious, they should ask God for it. If they have reservations, simply read what the Bible says and believe in it. Jesus baptizes with fire. The Holy Spirit empowers us to witness. The early church spoke in tongues. Clearly Paul did too. “I thank God I speak in tongues more than all of you.” It was his desire echoing God’s desire that we all speak in tongues.

                “Wisdom is justified by her children.” I would not be a pastor, have won people to the Lord or be writing this if I did not have the power of the Holy Spirit. My experience confirms what the Bible says. If you have not yet received the Promise of the Father, ask Him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment