Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Words that Weary God


You have wearied the Lord with your words. Mal2:17

                Do you ever get tired of someone just talking and not doing anything? So does God. Do you ever feel insulted by empty apologies that have no remorse? So does God. Does it bother you when people just assume they can treat you however they want? So does God.

                Jesus warns us about using empty words, especially when we pray. We are not to just keep rambling on or be repetitive. God seeks after people with a contrite heart, people who want to change. God demands repentance. That means new actions and not the old ones.

                We should not just talk about improving ourselves, we need to be about it. The priests in Malichi’s day were offering sacrifices but they were the worst of the flock. They would talk about God and do the minimum their job required but they were not living right. This can hit close to home. Are you a “Christian” who does the minimum? One who talks a little about God but never to Him? Don’t weary the Lord with words, bless Him with your actions.

3 comments:

  1. I find there is a little too much praying going on in some circles and little boots on the ground grass effort for change. How long does God expect you to beg, and beg. Praying is not measured by your time, or beating yourself up about it. God put you here with a short amount of time for action. Sometimes got to get off your knees ppl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God doesn't love us any less though when we fall astray. He encourages us, and keeps loving us. When I hear about how to pray I get tense. Who has the right to tell me how to talk to my Father? I understand where you say empty words, words of remorse that never go changed in future actions. But I admit I ramble on to God on a daily basis. When I am alone, sad, happy, in a group... It's like a conversation going on. Two friends, a father, a daughter. I could also be grouped into the "doing the minimum" as a "Christian". Go to church (building) only when invited, even then most the time it's for the potluck after. But the beauty of that is the church can be anywhere. I may be a "minimalist Christian" by the building attendance, but my heart is where He is.
    No idea where I was going with this... See rambling again... yet I can't help but picture Him, smiling and shaking His head at how silly I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment. I like your ending. it is funny bc I was smiling shaking my head. God does not love you less but it shows you love Him less when you fall away.
    Will you come to the church I pastor? you are invited. it is not as good as a potlock but we have donuts after each service. To be born of God is to be born into a family. the word 'church' means those called out to assemble. you have gifts and talents God gave you to build up His church. you have a place of accountability and discipleship. it is important for every member of the body to be connected to the rest.

    ReplyDelete