Friday, September 13, 2013

Empty Envy


Do not envy the wicked or want to be with them. Pro24:1

Our culture is very backwards. We admire actors and singers. In ancient days those were often slave roles. We have contest to “go back stage” and get to meet big time artist. The goal for many is to be like our pop stars or just be with them. This would be fine if they were not so vulgar.

What are the topics of our weekly top ten? Fornication, lewdness, and riotous living. They brag of how many women the sleep with, how much the get drunk and how much pride they have. It is poison. And we like rats pursue it.

There end is destruction. If you see someone walk off a cliff, why follow them? Fame is a lie. It is no more fulfilling that winning a video game. Why do so many celebrities overdose? Why do so many go to rehab? They are empty. They are just humans. It is noble to pursue a goal. There is value in the journey. But how sad when it is reached only to find it is vain? It leaves one at the top of an empty, ugly mountain.

I do not want the celebrity life. I do not want the nothingness of the drunk and party lifestyle. I do not envy  them. I have more. I have God, a beautiful, wonderful wife, excellent kids, and a job a love. That is the precious life for me. I do not envy the wicked, I follow those with long track records of godly living.

No comments:

Post a Comment